Let’s break down hashtags just a bit.
Let’s say I’m looking for a family photographer in Orange County, and YOU are a family photographer in OC. How will I find you on Instagram?
👎If you add a generic hashtag like #family or #photographer (which has over 172 million posts), more than likely your ideal client is NOT going to find you & you’ll get lost in the mix.
👍Now let’s say you use your location & profession and post #orangecountyphotographer or #orangecountyfamilyphotographer. Those numbers are much more reasonable and your ideal customer is way more likely to find you.
😰Are you use hashtags the right way? Do you feel confused about the purpose, how to use them, when to use them, etc?
🤩IF you use hashtags right, they can increase your reach and ultimately help you grow. I heard them referred to once as the yellow pages of IG, and it’s so true! I’ve found so many restaurants, blogs, businesses on here and it’s now the 1st place I go to find a new business.
View the slideshow to below to see some of the most common mistakes people make when it comes to using hashtags, and how you can use them the right way.
5 reasons why your hashtags aren’t working for you.
- Your hashtags are too generic. Research hashtags to make them specific and searchable like the example above.
- Small fish in a big pond? Or maybe you’re not. Either way, it’s hard to stand out in a crowded pool of millions of posts.
- Engagement will always be critical, and engaging within the hashtags is no less important.
- Your hashtags aren’t what your ideal client would be searching for. Research what your audience would be searching, and use those on relevant posts.
- Don’t fall into the spam trap! If you post the exact same ones every time, Instagram will punish you. Change them up & make them relevant.
Do you use hashtags the right way? Or do you need more help utilizing them to your advantage? Message me or check out my Instagram @ktsocialmedia for more tips & tricks.